Poetry Writing Competition
For Clark County High School Students
High school students who reside in Clark County, NV are invited to submit original poems as part of the 2020 Las Vegas Book Festival.
Due to the current environment of social distancing, the SPARK! Poetry Competition will be a writing competition this year.
Students must submit three original poems to be judged by a panel consisting of poets, authors, educators, and other community members. Panelists will use a scoring rubric to assign numerical values to the evaluation criteria. The top three highest scoring students will determine first, second and third place.
Awards: First Place – $300 cash award; Second Place – $200 cash award: Third Place – $100 cash award
- Competition opens July 1, 2020.
- Student Submission Deadline: October 1, 2020.
- All high school-aged students (grades 9 – 12) who are residents of Clark County, Nevada.
- Types of poems that may be submitted: prose poetry, free verse, structured poetry (sonnets, sestinas, tankas, cinquains, villanelles, etc.) and spoken word.
Submittal Information – Deadline: October 1, 2020
- Complete and submit registration form with your 3 poems. No photos of registration forms.
- Poems must be submitted as PDF’s (to retain formatting). NO Google Docs.
- Please use a 12-point font type such as Arial, Calibri, Times, etc. No fancy fonts, they are too hard to read.
- Submit your registration form and poems via email to email@example.com
Questions? Contact Maryjane Dorofachuk, Arts Learning Specialist, Nevada Arts Council, firstname.lastname@example.org or 702.486.3738
Students may be asked to read their poems during a recording or video session that will be presented as online program to announce the awards. The recording will be scheduled at a later date in 2020.
Students must register to participate.